21. april 2012

Minikurs med Sandi Smith

Hi everyone...First off I want to say how excited and honoured I am to be here Guest Designing at the awesome ScrappeHuset.The talent on this blog is mind blowing!


 

So here are a few things about me.My name is Sandi Smith and I live in Newfoundland, Canada with my wonderful husband and 2 great kids, Rick is 20 and Claudine is 13.I am a SAHM but I am also enrolled as a full time Business Administration student through distance learning. I am so happy to say I will be graduating in April...yay!!!I did my first layout in January 2010 and immediately started searching the internet. I am sure I have read every how to and watched every tutorial that has been made! Scrapping has become an obsession for me...I am always in "scrapbook mode ". I love paper, flowers,bling,ribbons, lace and ink stained hands.I just cannot imagine not having this outlet in my life...I LOVE IT.


So here is my layout and a little flower tutorial...




I made this layout of my sweet girl using Glitz Beautiful Dreamer collection and a Prima vine. I did my usual sewing and distressing but also got a little bit messy with this one.



I used a Tattered Angels Butterfly Mask and spread a generous layer of gesso over top. I then lifted the mask off , turned it over and placed the messy side down on the paper to get the second faint butterfly image.I dried the gesso using a heat gun and then sprayed with three colors of Glimmermist. 



I punched the butterflies, added some glossy accents and then added micro beads and Donna Salazar Fairy Dust glitter...love that stuff!



I handcut the little hearts and accented with strips punched from an old book page.I added bits of cheesecloth here and there and a sheer bow for that extra little bit of softness to my layout.



I am now going to share a little tutorial on how I made the large flower on my layout. I have seen so many lovely flower tutorial using Sizzix dies but I do not own a die cutting machine...just a few punches. So I want to share how I improvised and came up with this flower:



This is what you will need:


1. Any 5 petal flower punch. 
Mine are the extra large and medium
2. Decorative scissors
3.Ink
3. Skewer or paint brush
4. Stylus or Sharpie marker 
to round your flowers
5. Glue(not shown). 
I used a glue gun cause 
I hate waiting for to dry.




These items are optional but can be used to add a little sparkle to your flower.


Step1: Punch out 3 large and 5 medium flowers. You can use the same paper for all or mix it up for a bit of contrast like I did.



Step 2: Use your decorative scissors to cut just along the edge of the smaller flowers and for the larger flower cut three different sizes. each one just a little smaller than the previous. Then ink along the edges.

Step 3: 



Pinch one of the smaller flowers together until it looks like the first picture. Then take the remaining 4 flowers and roll around the edge of a stylus or marker. When done,it should look similar to this:



Step 4: Glue the flowers together starting with the tightest rolled flower and don't forget to stagger your petals with each layer. The end result should be like this:



Step 5: Roll the edges of the three larger flowers towards the middle so that the three flowers look similar to this:




Step 6: Now stagger the three flowers starting with the smallest on top and then glue the smaller flower on top of the larger petals and add leaves. You can always add Stickles, Glitter or Diamond dust for some extra sparkle.


 
Here are a few more I have made. You can change the look by folding the petals differently, using different decorative scissors or even adding a bit of cheese cloth between layers...lots of possibilities!



Thanks so much for having me here at ScrappeHuset...its been a pleasure and I would love it if you would visit my blog! Happy Scrapping!




Thank you soo much, Sandi:)



9 kommentarer:

Torill sa...

OMG!!! love it!

Guri sa...

Nydelig LO. Likte så godt dei små hjertene med søm i midten.
Lekre blomster, og takk for flott tutorial.

linn kr/sykepleier sa...

What a GREAT tutorial, Sandi. :D
Love the flowers, they're beautiful. I've got the same flowerpunches as you so I'm definitely gonna follow your minicourse and make them. :D
Thank you for the inspiration! :)

Tone M. sa...

Really good, very nice.

Sandi Smith sa...

Thanks ladies for having me!

Tone-Lill sa...

Wow!!! Fabulous tutorial !!! Love the paper flowers, need to get some punches now .... Lots of inspiration on Sandi's blog :)

Ida / Little sa...

AMAZING!!! :D Flowers look awesome and the layout is just drop d**d gorgeous! LOVE IT! :) Thanks Sandi!! :)

Låna Pengar sa...

Amazing. The flowers looks very nice. Nice made.

Bodil sa...

Så nydelig LO og for noen lekre blomster. Takk for tips.
klem :)